U-Cont’s story started with a one-man repair shop set up by Matti Korhonen in Pieksämäki in 1966. One year later, Reijo Sistonen joined the company as a partner. Named Konehitsaus Korhonen & Sistonen, the firm earned its revenue from repairing machinery. Reijo’s brought his skill of manufacturing containers to the company – something that later formed the basis of U-Cont’s production.
- Aside from tanks and containers, the company manufactured a wide array of products ranging from sauna stoves and sauna bench frames to repairing railway wagons – in fact almost anything their customers demanded.
- The first employee hired outside of the two families was Tauno Ritvanen who started work in 1968.
- The company relocated to its own premises in Joroinen in 1979.
- The manufacture of “Muurikka” cast-iron barbecue pans started in 1982.
- When the world was hit by the oil crisis in the early 1980s, the company developed “Sipako”, a mobile fuel container. Exports took off mostly to the former Soviet Union.
- A provincial entrepreneurial award was granted to the company in 1984.
- The entrepreneurial award of the Municipality of Joroinen was granted in 1985.
- Matti Korhonen sold his shares in the company to Reijo Sistonen in 1988.
- The company was renamed Savon Konehitsaus in 1988.
- New premises were constructed just before the recession in the early 1990s.
- The company developed the U-Cont compact filling station system.
- The first licence agreement was made with a UK company in 1995.
- Savon Konehitsaus was ISO 9001 certified in 1995.
- Savon Konehitsaus Oy and Murikka Oy merged in 1996 and the new company named Oy U-Cont Ltd.
- U-Cont was granted the Vientitykki Award in recognition of its export performance.
- U-Cont, Tammerneon and Autotankki established the joint export company, Inuictan, in Russia.
- The last phase of business succession was completed in 1998 when Jari Sistonen bought all the shares held by Reijo Sistonen.
- Muurikka was re-established as an independent company following a demerger in 2000.
- U-Cont joint venture companies – U-Cont MM in Poland and U-Cont Deutschland in Germany – were established in 2000.
- A new small-container factory was completed in 2004.
- The production of Uhvola fuel storage tanks began in 2004.
- Development work on the Blue Cont urea distribution system was started in 2005.
- Cooperation with St1 Biofuels was started in 2007 with the manufacturer and assembly of components for an ethanol mill. The ethanol mill in Lappeenranta was completed in the autumn of 2007.
- The ethanol mills in Närpiö and Hamina were completed in the spring of 2008.